Seymour College opened its doors in 1922 as Presbyterian Girls' College, following an initiative by the Reverend Dr John Alfred Seymour, of Adelaide's Scots Church, to provide South Australians with a day and boarding school for girls.
It was established at its present location in the leafy suburb of Glen Osmond, then the site of the magnificent home and estate of 'Wooton Lea'.
At that time, the College's strong appeal, apart from its academic excellence, was its panoramic views over Adelaide and the Gulf, its botanic environment and convenient location - assets that are as real today as they were in the College's early years.
In 1977, following the amalgamation of the Presbyterian, Congregational and Methodist Churches to form the Uniting Church, PGC was renamed Seymour College after its founder.
Today, Seymour is highly regarded as one of the nation's leading independent girls' colleges. While it keeps pace with the latest developments in education, it retains strong, vital links with its past. Tradition is an important element of the College, particularly the "Clan" system, which is a variation on the "house" system.
Over the years Seymour College has blended the old and the new. Historic Barr Smith House (formerly "Wooton Lea") contrasts with the impressive Centre for Performing Arts, Junior School Resource Centre, science laboratories, indoor sports centre and early learning centre The Early Years at Seymour. In between are bluestone cottages (one of which is the College Heritage Museum, Oodnadatta Cottage), modern classroom blocks and a Junior School featuring innovative architecture.